What is MUESLI?
MUESLI is a free numerical and graphical library, written mainly
in Fortran 95 and developped by Édouard Canot.
For a first introduction, see the
The available release is numbered 2.12.4 and dated 2017-05-22.
MUESLI needs also a C and a C++ compiler. GCC and INTEL actually constitute
compiler suites, which provide their own C and C++ compilers.
- for Linux systems, contrary to the past, only two Fortran 95
compilers are supported:
Please use the whole
unix sources archive.
- GNU gfortran, version ≥ 4.8 (version numbers 4.8 to 7.1 are ok)
- INTEL ifort, version ≥ 13 (version numbers 11 and 12 may work, but
are no longer supported)
- for a Windows system, MUESLI is intended to be used under
MinGW-w64; refer to this
Windows page providing binary files
for MinGW (32- or 64-bit).
- MUESLI can be also used on Mac OS X, but currently it has been
only tested on a Yosemite (10.10) version. Recent version of Mac OS X
should be ok. Refer to this Darwin page
for further information.
BLAS / LAPACK
must be available on the target machine. The following versions (older ones may
or may not work) are recommended:
They can be get here.
Caution: versions 3.2.0 and 3.4.0 lead to either run-time error or wrong
results in MUESLI. [For example, Mac OS X Yosemite provides Lapack-3.2.1, which
is too old and not adapted to Muesli]
- 3.3.1 (Apr 18, 2011),
- 3.4.2 (Sep 25, 2012),
- 3.5.0 (Nov 16, 2013),
- 3.6.1 (Jun 18, 2016), or
- 3.7.1 (Jun 25, 2017).
Moreover, the user should also fix the Lapack bug number 114 (a stack
corruption may occur, see here;
this holds for 3.4.2 and 3.5.0 versions only).
Sometimes, it may be necessary to compile yourself the Blas/Lapack library
(some erroneous floating-point exceptions have been reported).
The numerical part (FML) contains more than 385 user-available routines and
around 2650 unitary tests. As far as we know, this whole numerical library
doesn't contain any memory leak (thanks to valgrind).
However, it is not thread safe.
The Installation Guide and the
Reference Manual can also be downloaded.
- 2017-06-29: New Binary version is provided for MinGW under Windows
64bit (we recall that FGL is partially available under Windows, i.e.
only the non-interactive routines). See the
- 2017-05-22: Release of the 2.12.4 version. Modification of the arg
names of 'mfATan2' to be more clear: (X,Y) instead od (A,B). Any
unwanted arg in 'mfOut' can be replaced by the keyword MF_NO_ARG.
'msReshape' routine (in-place version) now works for sparse
matrices. Update ARPACK-NG library from 3.1.3 to 3.5.0. When using
the ODE/DAE solvers, the user can name by groups not only his
equations, but also his variables.
- 2017-05-06: Release of the 2.12.3 version. New FML routine 'msSmooth'.
Added order 3 interpolation, both in 1D or 2D ('mfInterp1' and
'mfInterp2'). Messages on terminal are now colored. Few improvements
or bugs fixed here and there. 'meditor' graphics tools has been
ported from Qt3 to Qt4, and 'msEdit' works again.
- 2017-03-22: Release of the 2.12.1 version. Fixed or improved many
routines of FML (LsqNonLin, Ode/DaeSolve) and FGL (msLegend, Pcolor,
ImRead, ColorBar). In FGL, the color palette 'krahina' has been
- 2016-12-15: Release of the 2.11.3 version. Improvements of many
routines, both in FML (mfGet, msSet, msFormat, mfLoadAscii, mfInterp1,
mf_DE_Options, PDF documentation) and FGL (msPatch; few bugs fixed).
Added Delaunay 3D (i.e. tetrahedra) set of routines. New mfExpInt
routine (exponential integral).
- 2016-06-14: Release of the 2.11.1 version. New mfFun routine
(apply element-wise any user-defined functions to an mfArray).
Improvements and bug fixes in FGL, especially in the following
interactive routines: msZoom, msPan, msPanAndZoom (fixed behavior
of Log axes and presence of a legend).
- 2016-05-15: Release of the 2.11.0 version. Support of Darwin (Mac OS X,
Yosemite) for both the numerical and the graphical part.
- 2016-04-29: Release of the 2.10.3 version. Few bugs fixed in the FML
part. Automatic quadrature routine (mf/msQuad) improved. PNG driver
improved for the creation of bitmap figures. Binaries versions are
also provided for MinGW under Windows 64bit; for the first time
FGL is also available under Windows but only the non-interactive
routines are available.
- 2015-12-22: Release of the 2.10.2 version. Improvement in the
FGL part (EPS driver) and few bugs fixed in the FML part. SuiteSparse
package upgraded to 4.4.6.
- 2015-11-03: Release of the 2.10.1 version. Few improvements in the
FGL part (background of figures is now white by default, not black;
bold fonts are now supported both in X11 and EPS).
Bug fix in msRat for very big real numbers.
- 2015-07-21: Release of the 2.10.0 version. Few bugs fixed in the
graphics part (FGL). Added quadratic interpolation in mfInterp1.
Fix bug for some FML routines when calling them with a temporary
- 2015-06-16: Release of the 2.9.12 version. Many bugs fixed in the
graphics part (FGL).
- older news can be found here.
For any question, please contact the author:
Come back to the author web page.
Last page modification: 2017-06-29